Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - January 9th


Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for? - Robert Browning

Your goal should be just out of reach, but not out of sight.

-         Denis Waitley and Remi Witt

Are your 2018 goals written and located somewhere where it is easy to review them daily?  If not, it is not too late to write your S.M.A.R.T. goals to help you accomplish your dreams in 2018!

When I was creating my goals, I reviewed my benchmark data from previous years (June 27, 2017 to learn more: https://tuesdaytipoftheweek.blogspot.com/2017/06/terris-tuesday-tip-of-week-june-27th.html).  I noticed that I have exceeded my knowledge (reading and listening to books) goals over the last 3 or 4 years and I started thinking that I should make these goals a little bit harder this year to challenge myself.  Talking with my mom, I mentioned this to her and she suggested that I not make it too difficult because I do not know where life will take me in 2018 and her thinking was correct.  I took a couple days to ponder both sides of this issue…write a goal that would be easily attainable or set a goal that could be attainable based on previous years, but would challenge me.  Since I usually love a challenge, I decided to set “stretch goals”!  Additionally, I know that I will conduct quarterly goal reviews to see my progress and change either a personal behavior or the goal if something happens in my life that will prohibit me from accomplishing my goals.  Furthermore, when I accomplish these goal, it will mean more to me because I will know that I stretched myself to accomplish it. 

When I decided on my “stretch goals”, I started thinking about changes I could start making to accomplish my goals.  I know that I watch a little too much television in the evenings and often give myself the excuse of needing time where my mind does nothing.  I changed my mindset and determined that I can read to relax instead of watching television.    

When people sense victory, they sacrifice to succeed.  When people sense defeat, they give as little as possible. - Stretchyourself.org

Challenge: Review your goals.  Did you set easily attainable goals or did you challenge yourself where the goal is slightly out of reach?  To challenge yourself in 2018, write a “stretch goal” that is slightly beyond reach and go for it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment