Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - September 22nd



Don’t trade in your authenticity for approval.

It is impossible to be authentic and to do what other people approve of at the same time.  – Teal Scott

Over the last couple of days, I started writing this week’s blog post four (4) different times and was never satisfied with anything I wrote.  While researching, I came across the word “authentic” and pondered it for a couple days.  According to Merriam’s Webster Dictionary, it means “real or genuine; not copied or false; true and accurate; made to be or look just like an original”.

Tonight flipping through the stations, I found the movie Legally Blonde.  The quick synopsis is Elle Woods goes to Harvard Law School to chase the guy she thinks she wants.  She gives up being herself to try to be with someone else.  Through the whole process, she wins a court case and tells the guy she thought she wanted to get lost.  Her authenticity shined through as she overcame all of the obstacles and negative things said about her. 

As I watched this movie, I thought about my life over the last ten years and how I have spent them truly finding myself, developing my values and opinions.  Today, I had to be like Elle Woods and could not worry about the approval of others.  When I called someone for support, I told her that it was hard, but the best part was that I could see how much I had grown and that it truly had taken courage to get to this point. 

Have you given in for the approval of others?  Are you authentic or have you changed to please someone else?   If you have, remove yourself from the situation and have the courage to allow your authenticity to shine through!

It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.  – e.e. cummings

No comments:

Post a Comment