Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - September 1st



I don't fit into any stereotypes. And I like myself that way.
- C. JoyBell C.

That is the one unforgivable sin in any society. Be different and be damned! - Margaret Mitchell, Gone with the Wind

Shelly Lazarus spent 40 years climbing the corporate ladder reaching the pinnacle of her success when she became the 2nd female CEO of Ogilvy & Mather.  In 1970, she graduated from Columbia University with her MBA where she was only one of four women in her graduating class.  After a short stint at Clairol, she moved to Ogilvy & Mather where she became one of the few women in the ad industry at the time.  Over her career, she developed a reputation for clear branding, close client relationships and integrated marketing campaigns for companies such as American Express, Coca-Cola, IBM and Dove.  

Don't underestimate the value people place on authenticity. Politicians listen to the focus groups and say the things they think people want to hear. But after 30 years of reading consumers, I know that they can smell phonies.

When I read the above quote from Lazarus, I was challenged in many different aspects especially based on the current 20+ people that are running for President of the United States.  In today’s society, people question us when we do not follow the “normal” plan.  Lazarus spent many years researching people and learning how to communicate with them.  She discovered that authenticity is important for people so the feel they can trust you.  

Personally, I have learned to stop trying to be someone I am not and be happy with the person I am because I was created to fulfill my purpose in this life.  We are all made for something different and we cannot compare our lives with someone else’s purposes, goals, dreams and visions. 

I challenge you to be happy with who you are.  Be authentic and show people your uniqueness every day!

Create your own style… let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others. - Anna Wintour

Sources

No comments:

Post a Comment