Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - March 27th


A dream becomes a goal when action is taken toward its achievement. - Bo Bennett

Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice, and is never the result of selfishness. - Napoleon Hill

Arise! Awake! and stop not until the goal is reached. - Swami Vivekananda

First quarter of 2018 is almost complete…how are your advancing on your goals?  The end of each quarter is always a wonderful time to review how we are doing to determine if we need to make any changes to our plan to accomplish our goals or if we need to continue progressing with the same intensity as we have been in the first quarter over the next three quarters of the year to accomplish our goals. 

As I have been conducting my quarterly review, I started questioning if I should continue with my “stretch goal” of reading 50 books this year or change it.  Contemplating this, I considered that I have read 20 books so far and am in the middle of a couple more books.  Now I will say that I did consider changing this goal because I am “fearful” of not accomplishing it.  However, I decided that at this point I am going to continue to push forward.  As I recently told a friend I was talking to, I cannot set goals based on what I “hope” happens in my life.  I have to continue pushing forward on my current goals and do quarterly reviews to determine if my life circumstances changed to help determine if my goals need to change.   

The danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short, but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark. - Michelangelo Buonarrati

Here is a simply process that I came up with to complete a quarterly goal review:

1.       Review benchmark data and determine progress of goals.    

2.       With those goals that are not progressing, do the goals need to remain because they help fulfill a personal purpose statement or should the goals be removed from the list for the year?

3.       If the goals are staying on the list, what new habit(s) need to be incorporated to accomplish the goals? 

A great way to help accomplish large goals may be to set smaller goals.  Would it be beneficial to break large goals down into smaller goals such as a daily or weekly goal?

4.       Incorporate new habits into life.

5.       Celebrate the progress on the goals that have been accomplished! 

The important thing is to strive towards a goal which is not immediately visible.  That goal is not the concern of the mind, but of the spirit. - Antoine de Saint-ExupĂ©ry

Goals are dreams with deadlines. - Diana Scharf Hunt

Challenge:  Complete your quarterly goal review for the first quarter of 2018.



Resources











No comments:

Post a Comment