Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - March 13th


Never underestimate the power you have to take your life in a new direction. - Germany Kent

A positive attitude can really make dreams come true - it did for me. - David Bailey

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results. - Willie Nelson

Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart. ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

When negative thoughts come and finding the strength and passion to push forward is difficult, I have found it helpful to have ways to create a positive mindset.  Here are some of my suggestions:

1.       Help Other People – When I moved to Virginia, I knew no one.  Through my church, I found a great opportunity to volunteer at a local senior center once a month.  I have been volunteering for over a year painting fingernails and have learned that even when I am distraught about life volunteering changes my perspective. 

2.       Laugh – Through my volunteering, I have a “special friend”.  He is a nice 80-year old man that likes to talk to me.  He even gave me a Valentine’s Day card and I have coined him my “80-year old boyfriend”.  My friends laugh at me when I say this.  Valentine’s Day is not usually an easy time for me; however, this year I could not complain because I did receive a Valentine’s Day card!    

3.       Friends –  During the hard times, it is great to call or text friends.  Usually, I do not tell them I am down or discouraged.  Simply interacting with positive people changes my perspective.  

4.       Positive Music – Listening to positive upbeat music can change a person’s perspective.  According to a study in the Journal of Positive Psychology in 2013, two weeks of consistent positive music can help a person feel happier. 

5.       Remembrances – It is so important to remember the progress of how far we have come and events that have helped move us closer to our dreams.  This is often hard for me because I want my dreams immediately and I often forget what has already happened moving me closer to my dreams.  I learned that I have to hang up pictures or reminders from events that occurred and regularly look at them to encourage myself.  Also, I have a list of important dates reminding me of events/activities that occurred moving me closer to my dreams.  When I review these items, I am reminded that I am progressing toward my goals, the trials I am going through are developing my character and everything happens in perfect timing!

Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain. - Joseph Campbell



Challenge: Find two ways to create a positive mindset for yourself.  Preparing in advance ways to change a mindset will help you immediately change your perspective instead of waiting until a negative mindset comes and then trying to figure out how to change it.



Resources

Choose Music to Boost Happiness: https://www.everydayhealth.com/depression/choose-music-to-boost-happiness-3267.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment