Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - October 31st


Surround yourself with only people who are going to take you higher. – Oprah Winfrey

It occurs to me that our survival may depend upon our talking to one another. - Dan Simmons, Hyperion

There are various types of mentoring.  An individual can have a mentor that develops them by meeting weekly or monthly.  Others may be mentored by successful people through reading or listening to biographies.  Rick Warren said in one of his recent podcasts that he recommends his staff read biographies of individuals that have passed away because one can review the person’s full life to see the ups and downs to determine how they lived.  He believes that anyone that is alive is still a work in progress and they can still have a downfall. 

Recently, I was reading an email where I saw that the author of an article lived in Washington, D.C.  Based on her experience, I emailed her and asked if she would meet me for coffee to discuss her industry and how she handles being a female in a male dominated industry.  Last week, we meet for an hour conversation.  During that conversation, we discovered we attend the same church.  She answered my questions and it was a great opportunity for me to learn and grow.  Through this experience, we discussed Terri’s Tuesday Tip of the Week and she provided me the name of an individual that works with writers to help them be published.  I emailed the individual and I am waiting to see if there might be any potential opportunities to write more. 

The best way a mentor can prepare another leader is to expose him or her to other great people. John C. Maxwell

When we take chances to meet with new people, we will have the opportunity to network and be mentored.  We have no idea where those opportunities will lead!

CHALLENGE: Identify one industry you would like to learn more about.  Research contacts and email an individual to ask them to spend 30 minutes discussing the industry. 

40 Before 40 Update: I accomplished #14 (Pumpkin Chunkin’) and #15 (Diplomatic Room tour at the State Department).   Check out pictures via my Facebook album: https://www.facebook.com/terri.flow.3/media_set?set=a.10154744247462294.1073741851.598657293&type=3&pnref=story



Resource:



No comments:

Post a Comment