Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - June 20th



How about hear the other side of the story before jumping to conclusions. – Author Unknown

It is only through the opposition of ideas that we can learn to be self-critical, to work towards intellectual humility. - Tariq Ramadan

You must never underestimate your opposition. - John Scarlett

Strong people are made by opposition like kites that go up against the wind. - Frank Harris

Last week, I attend a political event and ran into a man I met a couple months ago.  As we were talking, I remembered he liked to read and I asked him what he was currently spending his time pondering.  After he responded, he asked me what I was reading.  When I responded that I was reading a book that was different than my political views, he looked at me awkwardly and asked if I was enjoying it.  My response was that I was learning a lot and able to see what I considered the fallacies in the author’s perspective.  He said, “Know your enemies!”  This particular politician is not an enemy, but it is someone that I do not agree with.  

When this author’s first book came out, my father suggested I read it to help me understand the other side’s perspective.  That experience taught me that for me to truly understand what I believe, I must understand what the other side believes. 

Recently, Mark Batterson said he had to deconstruct his views to reconstruct them and he said he had to “walk through a process to discover why I believe what I believe”.  This process is about learning who we are, what we believe and why.  I truly believe that when we know this, we are able to disagree agreeably. 

CHALLENGE:  What views do you need to deconstruct to reconstruct to be better educated to grow and develop?

Opposition provides choices, and choices bring consequences - good or bad. - Ezra Taft Benson

No comments:

Post a Comment