Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - February 28th



Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing. - Oscar Wilde

The only source of knowledge is experience. - Albert Einstein

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions. - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Knowledge comes from learning. Wisdom comes from living. - Anthony Douglas Williams

Recently, I learned that “experiences” are a great teacher in life.  Last week, I discussed how my morning routine was disrupted when my sister came to visit; however, I would never change the “experience” I had spending time with her and creating awesome memories!    

Another “experience” started when I was in a cab headed home from a long day on Capitol Hill and was texted about hanging out with someone.  I was tired and could have said “no” and sat on my couch watching television or reading a book to help me progress in my reading goal, but I chose not to.  I took a chance, savored that present moment and had the best time!  It was a relaxing, fun evening that got me outside my comfort zone and included Ben and Jerry’s chocolate ice cream, which made it perfect! 

Over the long President’s Day weekend, I traveled along the East Coast.  I enjoyed seeing various State Line signs, observing the waves along the Delaware coast, outlet mall shopping, viewing Legislative Hall and eating barbeque at Where Pigs Fly in Dover and driving over the gorgeous Chesapeake Bay in Maryland.  It was a fast trip, but reminded me that even though I live near the Beltway of Washington, DC, there is life outside this crazy, awesome political mayhem!      

We can strive toward our goals of reading books, writing articles, decluttering our homes, etc. to move forward in achieving our dreams; however, Julius Caesar said it best:

Experience is the teacher of all things.  

In Happy Women Live Better, Valorie Burton sums it up well:

In the midst of a hectic pace and professional successes, the stuff that holds the most meaning to you is usually connected to people you love and the joyful experiences you’ve had.

CHALLENGE: I recently heard this quote in a Hallmark movie, “I don’t want to live my life comfortable.  I want something…unexpected”.  What new “experiences” are you going to try to see what unexpected things arise in your life and what you learn from those experiences?  I am not suggesting doing anything illegal or immoral though….Just sayin’!    

No comments:

Post a Comment