Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - February 21st



I’ve found that the first thirty minutes of my day have the biggest impact on how I feel for the rest of my waking hours. – Molli Surowiec  

Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most. – Buddha

Having a set routine where I do the same things at the same time every day is crucial to saving time and mental energy. – Jessica Dang

These morning practices are what fuel me; keeping my routine is not about willpower. – Jenny Blake, author of Pivot: The Only Move That Matters is Your Next One

When do you take time to develop yourself and work on your goals?  I target my mornings to accomplish as much as possible.  My morning routine is to wake up, go to the gym for my workout, return to my apartment where I complete my devotional, accomplish as many tasks on my to-do list as possible and then review my schedule to determine meetings or events that I have for the rest of the day.  By completing this routine, I am working toward accomplishing many of my goals for 2017.  

This routine rarely changes.  However, I recently had great chaos that threw me off my morning routine.  My sister visited and my morning routine was completely screwed up.  It had nothing to do with her.  As a very organized and processed-oriented individual, I had to adjust to not waking up at my normal time, having another individual in my apartment and had to be flexible in accomplishing my tasks, etc. 

Through this experience, I narrowed my focus and incorporated the “1% Rule” into my life.  James Altucher believes that habits do not change in a day, but doing something for 1% of your day makes every habit work.  His reasoning is that if you relax and give yourself the opportunity to improve a little each day then you are developing a good habit. 

Think about this...

  • Author Kurt Vonnegut took time every day to write for twenty-five (25) years before he had his first major bestseller. 
  • Picasso painted two (2) works of art a day creating over fifty thousand (50,000) artworks in his lifetime.
  • Mozart wrote musical pieces for ten (10) years developing his skills to become a true master. 


We all have times when our schedules are little more crazy and hectic.  During these times, we still have to take time to do things daily that will help us develop and grow.  By spending 1% of your day improving yourself, it will compound and in a year you will have improved by 3800%.  If spending only 1% of your day can change your life, why would you not do it?!?!?!?!    

CHALLENGE: This week, take time to determine what are the tasks/activities that you want to accomplish each day no matter where you are that will help you accomplish your goals and dreams.  This list should not be too time consuming, but should incorporate the “1% Rule”.  

A schedule defends from chaos and whim. – Annie Dillard

The repetition becomes the important thing; it’s a form of mesmerism. I mesmerize myself to reach a deeper state of mind. – Haruki Murakami


Resource:

No comments:

Post a Comment