Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - July 5th



A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. - Plato

What we spend our time on is probably the most important decision we make. - Ray Kurzweil

There's no wrong time to make the right decision. - Dalton McGuinty

Never make a decision when you are upset, sad, jealous or in love. -  Mario Teguh

When you make the right decision, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. - Caroline Kennedy

How are you at making decisions?  Are you decisive or indecisive? 

According to dictionary.com, decisive means “having the power or quality of deciding; putting an end to controversy; crucial or most important; characterized by or displaying no or little hesitation; resolute; determined”.

As I have been decorating and organizing my new apartment, I had to make a decision…how best to organize my shoes!  In my last closet, I had a metal contraption that allowed me two levels for shoes and then my cowboy boots on the end.  In my new place, the metal contraption did not fit well and made organizing the rest of my closet difficult.  I decided that it was best to find a new option for organizing my shoes.  After a couple ideas, I went to Target and searched their shoe storage options.  I purchased new device and then called my mom and asked her opinion based on a couple questions.  She agreed that I made a wise decision.

CHALLENGE: Making decisions can be easy for some people and it can be difficult for others.  People will often have “buyer’s remorse” after they decided.  Here are a couple ways to help make wise and decisive decisions:

  1. Gather as much of the information about a situation that you can.  Having details helps guide an individual in making a decision. 
  2. Never make a decision based on emotion.  If it does not feel like a “yes, yes, yes” in your gut, then do not do it.    
  3.  Never make a rash decision.  If possible, take time to strategically think through the various option.  Often times, getting away for a walk or run will help an individual make a decision.
  4. Talk through the issue with an individual you trust.
  5. Once a decision is made, do not be wishy-washy about it.  Stand behind it UNLESS new information arises that indicates that a different path should be taken.

Resources

In a moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing to do. The worst thing you can do is nothing. - Theodore Roosevelt

Again and again, the impossible problem is solved when we see that the problem is only a tough decision waiting to be made. - Robert H. Schuller



No comments:

Post a Comment