Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - July 12th



The more that you read, the more things you will know.  The more you learn, the more places you will go! – Dr. Seuss

Don’t just read the easy stuff.  You may be entertained by it, but you will never grow from it. – Jim Rohn

If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. – Jaruki Murakami

Over the weekend, I was reading a book that said narrow your focus on two or three reading topics such as philosophy, technology, theology so that you can become an expert in those.  Those are broad topics that provide a lot of reading options; however, I disagree with this author.  

Living in a new city, I am having to reestablish myself, attend networking events and meet new people.  It is not easy for me to walk up to someone, introduce myself and start a conversation.  However, I can tell you that I believe it is easier for anyone to network when they are well versed in many topics.  For example, last week I attended an event with the Wall Street Journal.  I talked with one person I knew from previous trips to The Hill and then I met three ladies.  During those conversations, we discussed regulatory compliance, things to do in DC, politics, travel, the Federal Reserve Governor, human resource issues and the weather.  This is a wide variety of topics, but I was able to converse with each person on a “30,000 foot level” because I read, listen to the news and do research. 

Technology provides so many options for education.  Reading can be done on our phones, iPads, etc.  We do not have to hold a book like we use to.  Additionally, books are almost outdated after they are 
published so staying up-to-date via articles is so important. 

CHALLENGE: How are you improving your knowledge?  What do you need to do to prepare for an impromptu conversation about Brexit????

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow. – Lawrence Clark Powell

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body. – Joseph Addison

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely!! One of my friends recently told me "leaders are readers"...

    ReplyDelete