Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - April 12th


The life in front of you is far more important than the life behind you. – Joel Osteen

Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory. - George S. Patton

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.  You are able to say to yourself, ‘I lived through this horror.  I can take the next thing that comes along.’

When I moved from Michigan to Texas, I was quiet and had very little confidence in myself.  After pondering, “how did I develop my self-confidence?”, I realized that I was given a lot of great opportunities and I took advantage of new tasks even if I had not done anything like it before.

For example, I was asked to be the Secretary of the Senatorial District 14 Convention in 2008.  Who knew 8 years later I would chair my second Convention.  In 2011, I asked my boss at the time if I could organize a trip to DC as part of the bonus performance program at my company and the opportunity to stay an extra night to visit a friend.  With no knowledge of what to do, I took the challenge and scheduled twelve meetings for that first trip in 3 days and in previous trips they had six meetings in 3 days. 

Brian Tracy said it best when he said, “Self-confidence is a learnable skill, like typing or riding a bicycle.  You develop it with practice”. 

I also followed the example of Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge.  As she was entering her royal duties after her engagement to Prince William, the Queen of England mentored her to show her how a Princess/Queen was supposed to act.  Middleton did not shy away from working with the Queen and learning the process.  She went full force to learn and master her new role.  I have been blessed with many mentors that have provided me wisdom and encouragement along the way. 

Challenge: How is your self-confidence?  If your self-confidence is low, what caused it?  What changes can you make to help increase your self-confidence?  What tasks do you need to “just do” to help build your self-confidence? 
Also, how can you help someone else grow their self-confidence?  We all need encouragement at times and there is no better opportunity to help someone than to encourage them. 

Resources:


No comments:

Post a Comment