Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - March 1st



True education does not consist merely in the acquiring of a few facts of science, history, literature, or art, but in the development of character. - David O. McKay

Mentors have a way of seeing more of our faults that we would like. It's the only way we grow. ― George Lucas, Star Wars: Episode 2 Attack of the Clones

Everything we know, we learned from someone else! - John Wooden

When I first moved back to Texas ten years ago, I got involved in politics.  In the first year, I reached out to a family friend that had served in political office to learn from him.  We would meet every couple months to discuss what was going on in my life, discuss ideas for improvement and he would challenge me to grow.  Over the years, I have called him my “political mentor”.  We still occasionally meet, but now we discuss what I have accomplished and the direction I am headed and presidential politics.  My “political mentor” made a major difference in my life by challenging me and directing me in certain areas.   

John Wooden was an exceptional basketball coach and mentor to his players.  They saw him as someone who not only wanted to develop their basketball skills, but also develop overall well rounded individuals.   John Wooden said:

While I made my living as a coach, I have lived my life to be a mentor-and to be mentored!-constantly. Everything in the world has been passed down. Every piece of knowledge is something that has been shared by someone else. If you understand it as I do, mentoring becomes your true legacy. It is the greatest inheritance you can give to others. It is why you get up every day-to teach and be taught.  

Challenge: As you go through the week, think about people that could mentor you.  This mentoring relationship can be whatever you desire it to be.  You may choose to set up regular meetings or it may be someone you call to help you determine how to handle a specific situation.  This individual should be someone you trust so you can share your dreams and goals with them and they can help direct you on the path to accomplish them. 

Resources

1 comment:

  1. Terri, you are amazing. Today's blog was sent at 1:00a.m. and you probably had to be at the polls at 6:00. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete