Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - December 8th



The meaning of life is to find your gift.  The purpose of life is to give it away. – Pablo Picasso

If you’re alive, there’s a purpose for your life. – Rick Warren

Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction. – John F. Kennedy

I have always been a goal-oriented person and I have developed my goal setting skills over the years.  However, a number of years ago I heard a speaker discuss a “Life Purpose Statement”.  As I was researching for this blog post, I found the following definition for what a purpose statement is:

“A life purpose statement describes in clear and full detail the reason you exist, why you are here now and how you see your life unfolding” (from Manifest Your Potential website).  

Over the last couple of years as I have written my goals, I put my Life Purpose Statement at the top and write my goals below.  Before I type a goal, I review my Life Purpose Statement and verify that by completing that goal I will be accomplishing my Life Purpose.  If not, the goal will not be added to my list. 

As I was typing up this blog post, I thought about my Life Purpose Statement and the goals I create for myself each year.  My challenge was my fitness goal.  How do my fitness goals help me accomplish my Life Purpose Statement?  Thinking about it, I realized that if I do not feel good I will not be able to accomplish the other goals I establish for myself.  Everything encompasses the PURPOSE I am on this planet for.

After you have reviewed your Life Purpose Statement, start thinking about your 2016 goals.  When writing them, I suggest you divide your goals into what I call the “6 F’s”.  The categories are: 

1.       Faith
2.       Family
3.       Friends
4.       Finances
5.       Future
6.    Fitness

Having categories, helps you divide up your goals and makes it easy to review your goals daily, monthly, quarterly to see progress and areas to work on. 

This week, continue to think about your 2016 goals.  Remember that by having a roadmap you will have a path to accomplish your Life Purpose. 

Next week, Terri’s Tip will discuss writing SMART goals.

Your goals are the road maps that guide you and show you what is possible for your life. - Les Brown

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. - Les Brown

If you don't know where you are going, you will probably end up somewhere else. - Lawrence J. Peter


Resources

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you list finances twice?
    Thanks for getting us in the frame of mind for working on our goals for next year. I need to spend some time doing that

    ReplyDelete