Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - October 21st



Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely. - Auguste Rodin

A couple weekends ago, I traveled to Fort Worth to spend time with my family.  As many of you know, my sister was laid off from her job a couple months ago.  While I was there, we were talking about her time she spent volunteering for Habitat for Humanity.  She told me that she had been contacted by an old acquaintance saying she heard about the job loss and wanted to see if she would like to volunteer.  My sister thought outside the box and used this opportunity.

While volunteering, she had various responsibilities including greeting other volunteers at 5:30am for breakfast, making sure everyone was parking in the appropriate places, working with videographers to film a video for the event, etc.  Additionally, she took on the role of organizing the social media including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram posts.  Now the funny thing is that my sister swore she would never have an account and before her time with Habitat had no clue how to use it.  When I arrived Friday night, she was checking her posts, telling me about an app she downloaded to help create more unique and creative posts that went along with the pictures she had taken.  Truly, I was impressed because she learned something new that will help her in a new job and she made a great impression on the people she was working with.

My sister used her Habitat for Humanity experience wisely and here are two things I learned from her:
1  

  •   My sister thought outside the box to network to look for a new job.  When I was with her on Saturday, people were telling her that she had done a great job and that they would keep her name out there to help her find the right job.

  • 2 My sister learned a new skill (social media) that is vital for any job in marketing/event planning.


Every experience is a great opportunity to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment