Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - March 21st



You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks. – Winston Churchill

Focus is more important than intelligence. – Picturequotes.com

Always remember, your focus determines your reality. – George Lucas

When you stop chasing the wrong things you give the right things a chance to catch you. – Lolly Daskal

At the end of January, I was asked to take on a leadership position for a club I participate in.  My decision was not easy.  The person that asked me to take on the leadership role is a friend, but I did not believe the position was the “best fit” to help develop me to accomplish my dreams and goals.  On a cold, rainy day when I had laryngitis, I called my mom and she listened very carefully as I explained the opportunity and then I explained my reasoning for my decision.  After listening to my raspy voice, she agreed that this was not the best opportunity for me at the time.  

A couple weeks after making that decision, I attended an event through my church where I heard business professionals speak.  As my normal SOP (standard operating procedure), I wrote thank you notes to the speakers and emailed the organizer for their names.  Through that communication, other communications occurred and I was asked to assist with this group.  This opportunity provides me more leadership, public speaking and writing opportunities, which will help me accomplish my 2017 goals and long-term dreams.  However, I did not immediately accept this opportunity.  Just as I did with the other leadership opportunity, I took time to review the situation and mentally processed through the pros and cons.  Again, I called my mom, we discussed and she agreed that it was a good opportunity for many reasons.  

You may ask “Why did you discuss these decisions with your mom?”  As I have said in previous blog posts, it is important to have someone that knows your dreams and goals and can challenge you to help you think through decisions.  My mom is that person for me at this time. 

People think focus means saying yes to the thing you've got to focus on.  But that's not what it means at all.  It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully.  I'm actually as proud of the things we haven't done as the things I have done.  Innovation is saying ‘no’ to 1,000 things. – Steve Jobs

CHALLENGE:   Next week’s blog post will focus on the progress of our 2017 goals.  As you start reviewing your goals that are posted prominently so you can review them daily, think about your progress.  How is your focus?  Are you “in focus” to accomplish your goals this year or are you “out of focus” (referencing blog post from March 14th)?  If you are “out of focus”, what do you need to help get back “in focus”?

My mind is clear. I’m focused. – Dennys Reyes

The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus. – Bruce Lee

Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment