Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - August 11th



Different than what I Thought, Better than I Imagined. – Lynette Lewis

Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle. - Napoleon Hill

No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. ― Maya Angelou

As many of you know, I have not been a big fan of my birthday in past years.  Last year, my sister had a life altering event a week before my birthday, which made me change my perspective.  This year, I was determined not to go down the path of “poor me” and I can assure you there have been days of fighting to keep strong, positive and not be depressed that I am not where I think I should be.  To stay positive, I have been discussing the “defining moments” of my life and how the tiniest of things can define our lives forever.  

During that original walk in downtown Austin on that hot July Sunday afternoon, I knew the post on my birthday was going to be different.  I started thinking about the last year of my life and realized it has been pretty amazing.  Here are some highlights/defining moments since my last birthday:

  • Run over 1,000 miles
  • Still love my job!
  • Three Congressman have visited/toured BancVue
  • Traveled to Washington, DC 4 times
  • Spoke at a Toastmaster Conference about career advancement
  • Had lunch at the Governor’s Mansion with former Governor Rick Perry
  • Traveled to Switzerland and France over Christmas
  • Attended the Texas Governor’s Inauguration and Ball
  • Won my Toastmaster Speech Club Contest about with my speech “Victory or Death”, which was about The Alamo
  • Received a marriage proposal in the St. Louis Airport…I told the gentleman Southwest was boarding his flight and he didn’t want to miss it!
  • Went out with an F-15 fighter pilot a couple times…WOW!
  • Was hit on by a Lt. Colonel in the Army Reserves while sitting on a bench in the Hart Senate Building in Washington, DC….still praying for that one!
  • Became a resource for various individuals because of my daily political email about the 2016 race for the White House
  •  Changed in ways I never thought I would, but am happy I did because I am growing and progressing on this amazing journey!

Take time to think about what you have accomplished so far on this journey we call life.  I can assure you this is not the life I expected, but it is better than I could have ever dreamed!

Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead. - Morihei Ueshiba

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anaïs Nin

My turn shall also come: I sense the spreading of a wing. - Osip Mandelstam, The Selected Poems

We are products of our past, but we don't have to be prisoners of it. ― Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?

1 comment:

  1. So good Terri!! I love seeing all the things your year has brought you, I can totally relate to not feeling like you are where you think you should be but I am going to write or some things like you did and hopefully be as inspired as I was when I read yours!

    ReplyDelete