Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - July 28th



Be the best version of yourself in the defining moments of your life. – Unknown

Life comes down to a few defining moments. – Unknown

There's no one defining moment that kills you or makes you. - Sinbad

We all have “defining moments” in our lives that will forever impact us.  We will meet people that develop into defining moments because of the opportunities those individuals will provide us.  For example, I remember meeting an amazing lady at a political meeting when I was first getting into politics.  Through conversations with her, I became a precinct chair in Travis County.  Little did I know that chance meeting would provide me the opportunity years later to become a leader in Travis County politics.  After that connection, I was at a convention for my previous job and simply asked another vendor contact I knew if she was aware of any jobs in Austin that would not have me traveling so much.  She told me there was a small startup company that was hiring.  I sent in my resume and almost 8 years later I am still at BancVue with many opportunities along the way and I am there Government Relations Manager.  One “chance meeting” or “defining moment” has catapulted me into so many great, amazing opportunities. 

People have also made comments that changed my life.  After moving from Michigan back to Texas, I definitely had a “wall” up and did not think I needed assistance from any man because I was going to be a strong Texas lady.  I was on a business trip with three men and one man grabbed my suitcase from the trunk of our car as any good gentleman would.  I was probably not lady like, grabbed it and carried it in myself.  The next morning, we both were at breakfast and ended up talking.  During the conversation, he politely told me “Stop trying to act like a man and be the lady that you are!”  At that moment, I blew off his statement; however, that statement has stuck with me for almost 10 years and I have regularly checked my behavior to make sure I was being a lady, but still strong to accomplish my job. 

We all meet people along our journey.  Seize each opportunity to meet these people because you never which ones will impact your life. 

Every moment is a moment of decision, and every moment turns us inexorably in the direction of the rest of our lives. ― Mary Balogh, Simply Perfect

I think you only see experiences as defining moments with distance. - Sam Taylor-Wood

When a defining moment comes along, you can do one of two things. Define the moment, or let the moment define you. -  Tin Cup Movie on choice

No comments:

Post a Comment