Monday, May 4, 2015

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - May 5th



Follow effective action with quiet reflection.  From the quiet reflection will come even more effective action. - Peter Drucker

As I flew home from Washington, DC, I took some time to reflect on both personal and professional activities that occurred while on my trip and also read a little in the book I took with me!  When I thought about the trip, I thought about what went well….what changes I need to make in the future…what discussions I had with political contacts…what areas of advice I need to incorporate into my life.  

You may wonder why I did so much reflecting on my flight home and also over the weekend.  Last week, I talked about the article from the Harvard Business professor on the “The Remedy for Unproductive Busyness” and now I want to discuss a different point that Francesca Gino discussed in the article.  Here is a paragraph from the article that really affected me:

Reflection has such beneficial effects on performance because it makes us more aware of where we are, gives us information about our progress, and lends us the confidence we need to accomplish tasks and goals.

As I am reflecting on this trip, my goal is to learn from the various activities and incorporate new activities to help me more effectively accomplish my tasks and goals.  If I continue to do the same thing over and over again, I will get the same results.  However, REFLECTION will help me grow and direct my path to accomplish my purpose in this amazing life!

This week, I challenge you to incorporate a time of reflection to help you grow…

Without reflection, we go blindly on our way, creating more unintended consequences, and failing to achieve anything useful. - Margaret J. Wheatley



Source: https://hbr.org/2015/04/the-remedy-for-unproductive-busyness.

1 comment:

  1. This is simply profound...Colossians 3 and Hebrews 4:12-16 highlights this as we can reflect with God's powerful, empowering grace!
    Thank you for your commitment to excellence - it is revealed so powerfully in your writing!

    ReplyDelete