Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - May 14th


Don’t base your worth off the amount of tasks you can complete in a day.  Base your worth off how you have grown and what you have learned. – Dr. Caroline Leaf
Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people. – Barbara Bush
We learn from failure, not from success! ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Don’t waste a good mistake, learn from it. - Robert Kiyosaki
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer. ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

Having an apartment fire is the last thing that I thought would ever happen to me; however, through the process I made new friends, lived a very disrupted life even though I like consistency, learned how to stay calm while handling arduous situations and laughed in the difficult times.  All in all, I grew so much, learned so much and changed so much.  AND probably the best lesson I learned from the fire is to live life to the fullest.
Through one of my new friends, I was introduced to The Last Lecture, which was a lecture given on September 18, 2007 by Randy Pausch.  Dr. Pausch was a professor of computer science, human-computer interaction and design at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  Dr. Pausch gave his last lecture because he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in September 2006 and in August 2007 was given the terminal diagnosis of living for 3 to 6 months.  Dr. Pausch died on July 25, 2008 at 47. 
Dr. Pausch’s ultimate goal of the lecture was to discuss everything he wanted his kids to know after the cancer took his life.  Throughout the lecture and the book, he discussed that everyone should have fun in everything they do and live life to the fullest because we never know when it might be taken from us.
Probably one of the most memorable points that Dr. Pausch made in his last lecture was:   
It's not about how to achieve your dreams, it's about how to lead your life.  If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself, the dreams will come to you.
I could not control the fact I had the apartment fire; however, I could control how I lead my life and took advantage of this disruption to Live Life to the Fullest!

CHALLENGE:  Listen to The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch on YouTube or read the book.
Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment