Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - November 13th


Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. - T.S. Eliot

A good goal is like a strenuous exercise – it makes you stretch. - Mary Kay Ash

By prevailing over all obstacles and distractions, one may unfailingly arrive at his chosen goal or destination. - Christopher Columbus



As 2018 is coming to an end, I have been reminiscing about the year and reviewing my goals.  This has been an interesting year and not what I expected; however, I came up with 6 lessons I learned. 

On January 9, 2018, I challenged Terri’s Tuesday Tip of the Week readers to set “stretch goals”.  When I wrote about the “stretch goal” challenge, I challenged myself to read 50 books, which included the 11 books in a pile that had been sitting on a chair in my apartment (TTTW – February 20, 2018) for way to long.  When I set this stretch goal, I had two concerns:  

ü  Would this stretch goal prohibit me from building relationships?

ü  Would I learn something from each book I read since I would be averaging about a book a week or would I only be reading to accomplish the goal?

I accomplished my “stretch goal” of reading 50 books and I completed the pile of books around mid-August.  Even though I had this goal, I still attended different events throughout the year to build relationships including continuing to attend the after-church lunch group that I had been attending for over a year.  Additionally, shortly after finishing the pile of books in mid-August, I was asked to lead the after-church lunch group, which continually allows me the opportunity to work on leadership skills and relationship building. 

For 2019, I will probably lower my goal for the number of books I am going to read, but maintain a high number of pages to read.  As I was reading books this year, I noticed that I would choose a shorter book to increase the number of books read instead of reading a longer page book that might be more beneficial for learning to help accomplish my dreams and goals. 

Lesson Learned: Take the Challenge!

CHALLENGE: Finish strong with your “stretch goals” and start thinking about what stretch goals to establish for yourself in 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment