Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - April 4th



The right perspective makes the impossible possible. – quotesgram.com

When asked if my cup is half-full or half empty, my only response is that I am thankful I have a cup. – quotesgram.com

What you see depends not only on what you look AT, but also, on where you look FROM. – James Deacon

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. – Dr. Wayne Dyer

“You can participate as long as you keep the right perspective.”

These words came out of my mother’s mouth on March 10th.  During my Toastmaster Club meeting that day, I was given the opportunity to compete in the area speech contest and I was talking with her about it.    

I have a confession to make…I am a very competitive person and my mom knows that.  In October, I participated in the humorous speech contest and won the area contest and proceeded to the district contest.  I did not do as well as I hoped and I was distraught for about 16 hours after that contest.  My mom was the one that listened to me process through the disappointment of not doing better and challenged me to learn from it. 

When I participated in the International Speech Contest on March 22, 2017, I went in to win the contest; however, I was prepared if I did not.  My perspective for competing was:


  • Win!  I have to prepare the best I can and the final decision is up to the judges.
  • I will review my performance and find areas for improvement because no one is perfect. 
  • I am developing my public speaking skills, which will help me accomplish my dreams.
  • I am building relationships with other speakers and I never know where that can lead.


Being announced as 1st Runner Up was exciting and I was truly happy for the individual that won. Listening to his speech, I was challenged by what he has gone through and was challenged to persevere because we all go through struggles.  Additionally, I know that my speech could have been more polished and know areas where I can improve. 

One additional thing I learned is that I have created a “personal brand” for myself here in Virginia based on my humorous speech.  When I walked in to the contest, the lady at the registration desk said, “You are the Texas Lady!”, which was part of my speech title for the humorous speech contest in October 2016.  It was nice to see that I created and implemented a “personal brand” for myself.  (To learn more about personal branding, read November 2016 and December 2016 Terri’s Tuesday Tip of the Week).

Challenge:  Think of an activity/experience that you had to “deal” with in the past that may not have ended up the way you wanted it to.  In the future, how can you change your perspective when handling a similar situation?  

Faith gives you an inner strength and a sense of balance and perspective in life. - Gregory Peck
You must look within for value, but must look beyond for perspective. -       Denis Waitley

No comments:

Post a Comment