Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - October 16th


Conflict and resolution are two sides of the same coin. ― Haresh Sippy

Making noise doesn't validate your point. ― Thabiso Monkoe, The Azanian

Conflict will happen and how we handle it is the most important thing.  As I have been researching conflict resolution, I have been thinking about various times I have been in conflict.  We are all going to handle conflict differently; however, there are a few things I have learned that I think can be helpful to everyone.

1.       There are two sides to every story and it is important to take time to listen to the other side.  Alaric Hutchinson said:



Bravery is listening even when you don't want to hear it.



In one relationship in my life, I know that my interpretation of what the person says is often different than what the person means.  To help with misinterpretation of statements, I started saying, “For clarification”.  When I say this, it tells the individual I want to understand what was said and helps defuse any defensive feelings. 



2.       After gaining clarification, it is important to remain mindful of the situation.  According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary, mindfulness is “the practice of maintaining a nonjudgmental state of heightened or complete awareness of one's thoughts, emotions, or experiences on a moment-to-moment basis.” 



Mindfulness may help you gain insight into your role in conflicts with others, it won’t single-highhandedly help you resolve them.― Sharon Salzberg, Real Love: The Art of Mindful Connection



3.       Ending conflict is important and it is important to find a resolution for everyone.    



Sometimes, God doesn’t send you into a battle to win it; he sends you to end it. ― Shannon L. Alder



I don’t think anyone ever gets completely used to conflict. If it’s not a little uncomfortable, then it’s not real. The key is to keep doing it anyway. ― Patrick Lencioni, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable

CHALLENGE: What have you learned recently from a conflict that you dealt with?



Resource









No comments:

Post a Comment