Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - January 19th



Simplify Your Life.  Learn To Say No.  – picturequotes.com

Boundaries are to protect life, not to limit pleasures. - Edwin Louis Cole
Last week, we discussed how 86,400 seconds are deposited into our “Day Account” and we have to use our time wisely because we will never get one of those seconds back.  This week, I want to talk about saying “NO”.  It is a hard thing to do, but for each of us to accomplish our dreams and goals we must learn to do it.  

Recently, I had to make a hard decision.  I have been serving on a board for a couple years and I stepped down from one position and was asked to continue to serve in another position.  The board position is not difficult because the information I provide during my report goes along with my job.  What I had to think about is that 2016 is going to be busy and I walked into work on the first Monday of January and learned that we had more to do on our trips to Washington, DC than I had thought.  There is going to be a lot of planning and work to do before I leave for my first trip in late February. 
As I was thinking about staying on in this position, I thought about the fact that the leadership position was a way for me to learn, but it was also going to be a debit to my “Day Account”.  I did not say no in this particular situation, but I did have to provide a negotiated plan to continue in the role.  To make this decision, I reviewed my priorities, goals and vision and my decision was based on the priorities in my life. 

When you have to make a decision about taking on a new task or activity, go to your dream board and goals.  Ask yourself, “Will this help me accomplish my dreams and goals?”  After contemplating that question and determining if the task/activity will help you move toward your future, you can decide how to proceed.  

Don’t be afraid to say “NO” or negotiate an option that is best for you.

A lack of boundaries invites a lack of respect. - An Iola of Truth

No comments:

Post a Comment