Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Terri's Tuesday Tip of the Week - April 7th



Comparison is an act of violence against the self. - Iyanla Vanzant

Comparison is the death of joy. -  Mark Twain

I wish I had her hair….I wish I had her job….I wish I had her thought process.  Do you ever compare yourself to other people and wish you had what they had?  

Over the last couple of weeks, Terri’s Tuesday Tip of the Week has been talking about vision, dreams and goals.  As I have been thinking about these various topics, I want to stress that each of us has a unique plan for our lives and we will not have the same path, vision or dreams as anyone else and we should not compare ourselves to anyone else.  Each one of is uniquely created for our own purpose!

I remember when I was in high school and one of my teachers asked me why I was not more like my sister.  He had taught both of us at different schools.  She was an excellent student and athlete.  However, I was not as academically gifted as her and that comment made me feel I was not good enough.  It took me a very long time to realize that we are both uniquely gifted ladies that have different journeys in this life.  We are both making a major impact on this world in our own special, amazing way!

I would challenge each of you to dream and set your goals.  Do not compare yourself to someone else because they do not have the same purpose and passions in this life that you do.  Also, be cautious who you tell those dreams and goals to.  Go to trusted individuals for advice, but know that you are the one that is dreaming and has the vision.  You are the one that will have to get up when your body does not desire to and fight to accomplish your life’s purpose. 

Don’t compare yourself because you are on a unique journey in this amazing life that we are living… 

When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you. – Lao Tzu

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson



2 comments:

  1. Sadly I do this all the time. I do try not to compare myself to others and not to covet what they have, but society today pushes you towards those actions based on all the adverts and sales pitches. A very good reminder that God has a path and purpose for us all and we have to trust that He knows what he is doing even if we don't have an example to follow in our specific path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete